PA Corrections Department Releases 2009 Annual Statistical Report
HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 3, 2011
HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The Department of Corrections today released its 2009 annual statistical report, according to John E. Wetzel, acting Secretary of Corrections.
“This report provides a statistical overview of inmates admitted to, incarcerated in and released from correctional facilities in 2009,” Wetzel said. “The Department of Corrections has published annual statistical reports for many decades to document the various aspects of the state prison system’s inmate population.”
Highlights of the 2009 report include:
- On Dec. 31, 2009, the DOC’s inmate population was 51,587 – a 4.4 percent increase from 1999.
- There were no breach escapes in 2009.
- More than half of the 2009 new court commitments were sentenced to a minimum sentence of two years or less.
- Ninety-six percent of new court commitments received a maximum sentence of 10 years or less.
- The average age of inmates serving life sentences in 2009 was 44 years.
- The average time served for inmates released in 2009 was 50.2 months.